Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Croatian chess and other variants

As it’s usual way of unfolding (development) progress, I started work on Croatian chess variant long time ago. Then I concluded I might, at the same expense, add some other various variants. I progressed some, even posted screen shots, as witnessed by these pictures lingering in one of my galleries:

And then, development halted. There wasn’t any particular distraction or some personal turmoil to contribute to this. Rather, it was, as always is, lack of patience and prospect of climbing that mountain, which contributed to loss of enjoyment in this project. Personally, I don’t believe in self discipline. To me, it’s your own Big Ogre Club +5, with which you’ll be pounding yourself head-on every time you think you sinned. While it might work for some people, I see it as non-working in real world. Would you like more to contribute to project because you are forced to, even if it’s by your own self, or because you genuinely like it? If you really like it, you’ll work on projects just because you like it. And yet, most of our cultures are hard working, chest pounding, head clubbing cults.

Primordial enthusiasm, on the other hand, is the way to go, carefully nourishing it before and after each and every effort. Took me some time to realize this. Now, I took the project not to work on it, not to play with it, not even because I particularly like it, but just to train myself to successfully grow enthusiasm in the backyard of my mind. Since then, I even managed to do some progress, so I’ll be sharing with you screen shots of a few other variants of chess, and a document which describes it. First screen shots:

And PDF document is located here.

There is also ODT document, which can be downloaded from here.

Of course, I’d like to hear from you, your experiences and your opinion on described chess variants.

No comments:

Post a Comment